IMAP > Information
Resources > Glossary
NEWS: With a grant fron NEA, IMAP conducted an online survey in 2007-2008 to determine the scope of institutions holding obsolete video playback equipment. This survey also sought to guage interest in several potential projects in the future, including: an online registry of playback equipment, the creation of a template that could be used to help inventory and catalog such equipment, and a cooperative effort to share parts and expertise. READ THE REPORT
- EAI Online Resource Guide for Exhibiting, Collecting & Preserving Media Art: http://www.eai.org/resourceguide/glossary.html
- Structured Glossary from the Technology Assessment Advisory Committee
of the Commission on Preservation and Access: www.clir.org/pubs/reports/lynn/
- This extensive glossary breaks terms down by document medium,
format, properties, content, and condition. It also includes storage terms,
specific preservation terms, methodology, and more.
- Lexical and Classification Resources from CoOl: palimpsest.stanford.edu/lex/
- With links to glossaries and thesauri, this CoOl site offers
information specific to magnetic media preservation as well as other areas
of archival research.
- Cataloging Terms from IMAP: www.imappreserve.org/cat_proj/glossary.html
- A list of important terms in the compatible Cataloging Project
central to IMAP’s mission.
- The BAVC Glossary: www.bavc.org/preservation/dvd/resources/gloss.htm
- A focused and extensive glossary that includes over 100 terms
related to video preservation.
- The AMIA Glossary: http://www.amianet.org/publication/resources/guidelines/videofacts/about.html
- This glossary is part of AMIA’s Video Preservation Fact Sheet.
It includes many of the terms used in the fact sheet as well as in general
video preservation literature.
- Technical Glossary of Common Audiovisual Terms from ScreenSound Australia:
- This audiovisual glossary, one of the most extensive on the
web, can be browsed alphabetically or searched for specific terms.
- Universal Preservation Format Glossary: info.wgbh.org/upf/glossary.html
- Developed in conjunction with the Universal Preservation
Format, this glossary has cross-domain definitions of preservation terms and
provides links to glossaries that have additional source information.