IMAP > Information
Resources > Internet Resources > Storage
- AMIA Storage Standards and Guidelines: http://www.amianet.org/publication/resources/guidelines/storage/intro.html
- With links to the Library of Congress’ reports on Film
Preservation and Television and Video Preservation, this section
of AMIA’s web site includes the ANSI (American National
Standards Institute) recommended standards for the extended storage
- The “Imaging Nuggets” section of Amigos
Library Services—Imaging & Preservation Services
- presents a brief discussion of the advantages and disadvantages
of various storage media for digital images.
- The storage/preservation section of the Digital Preservation
Coalition is at www.dpconline.org/graphics/orgact/storage.html.
This section covers both the initial storage and maintenance
of digital media and strategic approaches to long-term preservation.
- Magnetic Tape Storage and Handling: www.clir.org/pubs/reports/pub54/
- This 1995 report was a joint project of the Commission on Preservation
and Access and the National Media Laboratory. It covers a variety
of topics specific to magnetic media, including life expectancy,
tape preservation strategies, and more.
- The National Archives and Records Administration
- While not magnetic-media specific, this site includes a section
on storage that covers facilities, environment, housing, handling,
and time capsules.
- ScreenSound Australia’s site at www.screensound.gov.au/screensound/screenso.nsf
- contains an extensive Film Preservation Handbook, ScreenSound,
that discusses both cold storage of film as well as how to prepare
film for long-term storage. These sections include specific formulas
as well as guidelines for preservation, including the Image Permanence
Institute’s preservation index and time-weighted preservation
- Video Preservation—The Basics, from the
Experimental Television Center—Video History Project at
- covers important storage aspects, such as temperature, humidity,
shelving, containers, and a list of additional resources.
- Newsletter 11 of Video Art/e-monitor: www.videoart.suite.dk/e-monitor/newsletter-11.htm
- is dedicated to storage recommendations and guidelines and
explores the parameters of archival as well as accessible storage